DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION EXTENDED TILL FEBRUARY 15, 2014.
PULP: paper art party is an integration between a live music show and an art exhibit made out of reclaimed materials. It’s a paper playground! The event will take place at the end of the winter semester, on April 25th at The Great Hall, 1087 Queen St W.
We are looking for exciting designs for installations and furniture (outfits too) made of reclaimed material, mainly paper and cardboard. We want this year to be bigger, better, in 4D. Go nuts, we like crazy (so long as you can pull it off and it’s safe). Don’t hesitate to email us questions.
Also email us for video art submissions, we will have a big screen (on the backs of used paper) at the event.
All submissions we find interesting will be invited to be constructed at the party. Last year we had fifteen different installation (including one that was shipped from Winnipeg in a tube) and could still have more. All participating artists (including video) will receive free admission.
However, to invoke a little competitive spirit, our most favourite furniture or installation submissions will receive:
1st place: $250
2nd place: $150
3rd place: $100
Best Video of the Night: $100.
- Anyone can submit a design.
- Feel free to submit more than one design.
- It is better to submit a rough draft now with the understanding that it will be refined, rather than to be too late.
- Materials: A generic material that may be available upon request is (printed) 11/17″ and 24/36″ sheets. We will appreciate artists who come up with reclaimed materials by themselves. Clean the streets, make it into art!
- Designers are asked to provide a short text description and any conceptual drawings and models (photos or 3D images) conveying the intention and plausibility of their designs. Type and number of images are up to the design teams. Please provide JPGs or PDFs.
- We will only have the day of the event to set up. Designs must take this into account and be constructed quickly, or created in studio and assembled on site.
- Installations will be removed at the end of the event around 2-2:30am. PULP will take any installations and art pieces that are not taken down by artists and store them for a limited time so artists may take them back if they cannot stay till late at the party.
- Our venue will not allow us to put any nails, push pins, etc. in their walls and ceilings. If your design is not free standing, please provide methods of attaching your design to the space in a way that will also be easy to detach and clean. Consider the use of strings and only use painter’s tape. Please indicate this method in your submission.
- We encourage designers to think out of the box and create unique temporary spaces. Please keep in mind that the installations should serve a programmatic purpose during the event – conversation, debate, creation, drinking, and play. We encourage designers to explore these programs in their own terms. We also encourage the design of seats and tables that would be functional for the party guests.
- Keep in mind that glues and rasins may damage a material’s ability to be recycled. There is no point in doing an art show that promotes sustainability and at the same time renders recyclable material into trash. Find innovative ways to attach pieces of material or explore glues that do not damage the material. Let us know what you found out so we spread the knowledge around.
- Designs will be selected on the basis of their ability to create environment related discussion (interpret that however you want, but make note of it in your submission), function, grandeur (this is a party after all), or its potential for further development as a waste reduction technique.
- Think in four dimensions please. Here’s a guy who thinks in four dimensions, for example.
- All submissions and further inquiries should be directed at email@example.com.
Some art from last year
This event is Sponsored by